“The guard, who works for a British firm, said there was no demonstration over a controversial anti-Islamic film before extremists stormed the compound in the eastern city of Benghazi.
Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, the guard gave the fullest account yet of last week’s attack that led to the death of Chris Stevens. His claims contradict those of the US and other official accounts of the incident.
He said the assault began with a single warning shot, before hand grenades were thrown over the compound’s wall, accompanied by heavy shooting from automatic rifles and rocket-propelled grenades.
The guard, who did not wish to be named, said more than 30 men managed to charge the gates. “They were shouting, ‘Kill the bastards’,” he said, adding there were no religious or protest slogans.
He said they saw him and identified him as a Libyan defender of the consulate. “They said, ‘Kill the dog!’”
This is a blockbuster. The Obama administration has sworn that there was a mob demonstrating about the video “Innocence of Muslims”, but according to this eye witness and intel sources I’ve spoken to, there was no mob, no protest, this was an assault.
“The details are important, not least politically for President Barack Obama who has to decide whether to work with the Libyan authorities to hunt a small group of opportunist extremists or to take retaliatory action against a wider, more organised terror network.
Officials told The Wall Street Journal they had records of telephone conversations on Tuesday between al-Qaeda and members of a Benghazi-based Islamist militia, Ansar al-Sharia.
The security guard, one of an unarmed five-man squad employed by Blue Mountain security, said the incident began not long after a visit by a Turkish diplomat ended.
The first shot was fired about 9.45pm. “There were no demonstrators outside at all,” he said. “There was a national security (police) car outside – when we heard shooting we then heard the car switch on its engine and speed up the road.”
He said the attack was well co-ordinated and came in from three sides, and that the armed American guards had only fired back after coming under attack.
He himself was hit by grenade shrapnel, and then was shot through the knee when the first wave of attackers came in. He said those he heard speak had local, Benghazi accents, though he added that two men “looked foreign”.
He said some of the attackers wore masks, and many had their trouser legs rolled up – a mark of Salafi, or purist, Muslims and a common feature in members of Ansar al-Sharia.
He said some attackers wanted to shoot him, but another said he was Libyan and should be spared. This man dragged him out of the compound telling him to say nothing so that other attackers thought he was one of them, and he then passed out and woke up in hospital.
He said he was convinced by this that the attackers did not know each other – otherwise they would have known he was not part of the group – and thus were more likely to be a group of Islamists gathered for the purpose of the assault.”
Moreover, it’s a scandal because not only was it an attack, there was advanced warning as I wrote about here. This is a scandal that could cripple the Obama administration just 50 days outside of the election. We’ll have more to come.
UPDATE: CNN on the case of the advanced intelligence.
The Commander in Chief at Work!
Most Popular Posts